The community of Branchton formed in the Township of North Dumfries. The story of how North Dumfries was founded is very similar to that of the Town of Galt. In 1816 William Dickson, an immigrant from Dumfries, Scotland, bought a tract of land with dreams of attracting fellow Scottish countrymen to settle in Canada. Originally known as Dumfries Township, the area was split between the counties of Waterloo and Brant. North Dumfries is the half that ended up as part of Waterloo County, while South Dumfries went to Brant County.
Branchton came into being after the Great Western Railway built a branch line through the area, connecting Harrisburg and Galt.
In August 1856 James Pollock of Galt began work on a subdivision. Mr. Rosebrugh built a sawmill and a flour mill. Eventually, a store, tavern, and an inn were also established.
Today, Branchton remains a quiet little rural community just minutes from Cambridge and the conveniences of modern city living.